hobby
Wednesday, October 10
I told myself I'd work on my UCAS personal statement tonight... but I can't seem to do it ): I guess it's because all my formal-style-writing brain juices have been overused after writing countless papers on propaganda and other forms of smokescreen in the last 2 months... So it's time for informal/brainless writing, because I was supposed to be writing tonight, and what better place for it than here!
One of the questions I hate most during those introduction-y kinda things is, "What are your hobbies?" Well you see, the thing is, I don't know what my hobby is!!! I was asked this very question by my officer today, because apparently, he's managed to deduce what everyone does in their free time, but I'm the only one he can't decipher. Oh joy. I bought myself some thinking time with my usual laughs and Samuel-esque "whaaaaat"s, but ultimately had to come up with an answer.
It really did make me think --- after I get home, what do I exactly do? I realised I spent a lot of my time keeping up with the entertainment industry. As in, not the gossipy kind of celebrity stuff like, "Ooooh Clarissa S'More is dating Jack Desperado!" but the happenings in various artists' careers or various shows and movies, regardless of whether it was a part of the music industry, the movie industry, or the TV screen. It now seems like an endless cycle eh? Listen to music / watch movies / watch TV shoes, then proceed to read up on music charts, release dates of singles and albums, trailers of upcoming movies, interviews with movie actors and actresses, read up on the latest scoop of upcoming episodes of TV shows, reviews on the latest episode... well, you get the picture. I guess it would surprise you how much there is to read about as well. I just surprised myself after so easily listing those many things --- and that list isn't even exhaustive!
Haha wow, I really wonder how I even got so hooked on this kind of stuff... I blame drama --- home of the place where guys can go fanboy over Beyonce and not be judged. Yes, I'm talking about Tim Koh. Well the influence isn't a bad one per se --- it did, after all, lead me to love Wicked. Such a hobby also isn't a bad one in itself. It's just immensely hard to describe and relate easily to other people, because it's just so unheardof and nobody realises how much stuff one can read up on, especially apart from gossip news! So, would someone kindly tell me how to explain this hobby to people? Without sounding like a complete idiot absorbed in a world where fiction is born, and concerned with people who will never have a direct impact on me? Hmmm the more I think, the more I'm convincing myself that my hobby is ridiculous and a waste of time, really... But it's just so... intriguing! Damn.
Should I give up, or should I just keep chasing pavements, even if they lead nowhere? Oops, there I go again, lyric reference!
For now, when I know the asker won't ask any further after my answer, I simply say my hobby is squash. I mean, at least that's one sport I enjoy where my skill level isn't in the bottom reaches of people in general.
Sigh, maybe I need to rethink what I do during my free time? Hahaha, oh Clement, what have you done, opening a can of worms with that was meant to be a casual blogpost :P Oh well. But what hobbies
do people have anyway??? Ones that conducive take up one's free time too! I have hobbies that I don't do all the time after all... But you don't really consider them hobbies then, do you?
Time to stop talking to myself and have this conversation with God instead, haha.
No time for any UCAS tonight. Dinner at Ritz Carlton tomorrow! Billboard #100 update the day after, and hopefully a 10th debut in the top 10 for Taylor! Along with
The X Factor and
Modern Family. Oh right, I'll have driving lesson...
And Dear Daddy God, why must I miss out on overseas trips with friends? Must the brain/logic always trump the heart/emotions? Please let there be a way... ): It's hard to defend my parents' decision when I so wish to go as well... Ah well, I'll still honour my parents though.
AMEN;
1:06 am